16 January 2015

The Times They Are A-Changing

Of all the topics my humble mind can conjure, it's probably religion that I will opt not to talk about. I don't want to sound too preachy because I am anything but. Still, I'll try to piece out my views on the subject as generally as I can as a way to be in one with the elation of every Filipino for having The Pope in our midst at the moment.

 photo IMG_5693_zps1fc41662.jpg
Top: Topshop | Shorts: Collab MNL | Necklaces: Pull and Bear | Shoes: Adidas | Bag: Longchamp

On a side note, let me do a quick lip service for my friend Ver Guiyab. Along with her two classmates from DLS-CSB who took up Fashion Design too, they set up an online shop where they sell clothes they have designed. I bought a few articles because aside from liking majority of what's in their present collection, they use quality fabric (which is the main reason I support the brand Zara, really. Quality of material!). If you want to see a clearer and more-detailed photo of the shorts I'm wearing, check it out and the rest of their collection HERE.

 photo IMG_5696_zps08e36901.jpg photo IMG_5697_zps29627353.jpg
There are different ways to look at a thing - be it scientifically, philosophically, psychologically, aggressively, passively, theoretically, prejudicially, receptively, morally, or all other adverbs ending in -ly. We are all simply wired to have varying opinions and principles causing us to look at a single phenomenon through arthropod eyes like those of a fly's. It's no one's fault. Our beliefs should not be a cause of further rift among us because we are all after betterment - be it on a personal, national, or global scale. Cultivating our beliefs only become a problem when we impose that what we believe in is more important than our neighbor's.

Perhaps one of the reasons the number of the followers of the Church is dwindling is that, it's remained stuck in its traditions. Everything around it is changing but it's let its nose to be held high in the air. Until a Pope of the New World came in like a wrecking ball. (Too much for a witty attempt? Oh okay then. I won't do it again!)

 photo IMG_5694_zpsdea9dc26.jpg
My faith is on a personal basis. Whatever relationship I have with my God is between Him and me. I don't believe that two people revere the same God similarly to a fault because no two people underwent the exact same things in life. Our faith is shaped by what we face which is, amazingly, relative from person to person. So who are we to declare that others are wrong for believing in a different principle? The world would have been a better place if everyone is tolerant. Pope Francis easily became a most likeable person by everyone regardless of who they believe in and where they come from because he is someone whose tolerance is exemplary. Not to mention that he seems to be devoting his papacy to the care of the poor instead of propagating strict observance to the 'Church Rules'. This is not to say that he's neglecting addressing the moral problems prevalent in our times. It's just that, he's open-minded. He knows that there are ambiguities in Gospel interpretation and that this same Gospel does not exclude anyone so long as the person strives to be a good one.

How can we cast our judging eyes on others when The Pope already did and said the most liberating and all-encompassing statements?

 photo IMG_5701_zps3b46b618.jpg
Lastly, let me borrow Obama's accurate description of The Pope: “In particular, I want to thank His Holiness Pope Francis, whose moral example shows us the importance of pursuing the world as it should be, rather than simply settling for the world as it is.”

I've seen and read almost all the magazine articles in the past 
two years bearing the incredible stories about Pope Francis.
 Among them, I liked the title Rolling Stone came up with
 so I'm using it for my title too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, make my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...